Monday, 9 September 2013

Grafting away

Posting has been a bit slack of late, three steps forward, eight back.

I was pretty disapointed with the care of the engine builder, it put me on the back foot a little and slowed down any momentum I was building.

October 5 is the date of a local bike show that I want to enter this thing in to.
The machined tank, although could be built, I could justify the investment.

This caused a number of issues, height of the rear guard, position of the angle bars and what shape and style tank would ultimately influence the style of the end result.

I have been trying to build a low, long bike with cues of board track, speedway and vintage skinny.

The rear guard that forms the detail on the back half of the bike is a front guard off an English bike


I want to use as many of the existing features from the parts of sourced, found or stumbled over.
The swage that runs through the centre of the guard has mounting holes that I guess were for the vintage curved license plates the use to run.

I used 8mm round bar and formed it over a bit of pipe to match the radius of the guard.
I heated up the bar and flattened the middle section to allow a fixing point and to bridge the existing swage.

The bolt will be replaced; a nut will be welded to the underside of the guard and Allen key bolt will be fixed from the top allowing for the guard to be removed.


Tags to be added top and bottom of the 8mm rail.

Sourced a tank from Factory Metal Works, it has required a bit of a trim to fit over the back bone of the bike.




Skinny..












No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for checking it out, if you're in my neck of the woods and want a beer let me know!